Saturday, December 15, 2007

Pathetica

I arrived at the Pacifica Pier yesterday in an optimistic mood. In my last crabbing foray--at the SF Municipal Pier--I had good luck with chicken livers, so I picked up a tub at Safeway before driving to Pacifica.

The pier was unusually dead. The few crabbers who were working the waters looked vaguely demoralized. I baited both the hoop-net and the snare, and, feeling cocky about my super bait, set them in the deep about two thirds up the pier.

As it turned out, my optimism was utterly misplaced. The only catch: the sand dollar you see to the left, which came up in the otherwise empty hoop net. I thought it was fossil, until I brought it home and J set me straight.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

U.A. comment Christmas Quiz (UACCQ)!

Q: What is the preferred Chrissymass Eve feast fish in mitteleuropa?

Followup Q: Will the U.A. attempt to hook his own to celebrate properly the season?

Bonus question: How clumsy was that previous attempt to avoid an otherwise inoffensive split infinitive?

A Man of Constant Leisure said...

I'd guess some sort of catfish, except there is a directive in the Bible against eating scale-less fish that would seem to make cats inappropriate for Xmas fare.

Maybe common carp?

mare said...

Ug, this makes me think of Lutefisk and lye and whatnot.

This picture is pretty. If I concentrate I can imagine the scent and feel of the breeze. What's fun is to find a natural jetty and when the tide is down dig around in the rocks and see what other fossils you can discover caught up in there!