Friday, July 27, 2007

Low mercury walleyes

Okay, they weren't just low in mercury content. They were small, the best no more than ten inches. But the three walleyes and one perch we kept made for a tasty dinner nonetheless.

I caught one of the fish, J all the rest. She was using a yellow twister tail--Kohlie gold--and a lead jig. We located our hapless meal loitering in thick weeds in six to eight feet of water.

Over all, the fishing at our Lake County paradise was slow. I attribute this to the abundance of shiners (see post below) and a big mayfly hatch. Put another way, there was a lot for a fish to gorge on before testing our odd, artificial baits.

One morning, I lost what I presumed to be a big northern while fishing out of the canoe. The fish bent my rod into a U and then there was nothing. It didn't snap the line, it cut it.

Here, J politely waits for the camp cook to put down the fucking camera and serve the grub.

No comments: