Saturday, July 14, 2007

Triple stackers

I fished Cass Lake a bunch of times in June. Instead of heading to the better known early season spots--the mouth of the Turtle River, O'Neill's Bar, the Cedar Island flats--and fishing the low light hours, I worked the 12 to 18 foot water about 150 yards from the dock during midday.

To my surprise, it was very fishy.

I caught these two suspicious characters using some shiner minnows that Jen and I seined by the dock. Because the shiners were small, I used three to a hook. This ridiculous technique led to my discovery that northerns and walleyes share the human weakness for the triple stacker.

J and I ate the walleye with Arnie and Steph (who came up for a night) and saved the northern.

Later, Jen cubed out the fillets and soaked them in lime juice for three days in the fridge. Ceviche is delectable. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

No comments: